A beautiful city, an important port in eastern Macedonia!
A beautiful city and an important port in eastern Macedonia! Built in the western cove of the large homonymous bay. It is the most important commercial and industrial center east of Thessaloniki, at a distance of 160 km. It was one of the largest centers of processing and export of tobacco and has a long tradition of fishing. At the port, which is 245 nm from Piraeus, anchors the largest fishing fleet in Greece. The city stretches amphitheatrically at the foot of the mountain Symbolo up to its castle and offers everything the modern traveler needs. Good accommodation, facilities, and wonderful walks from the port at the old town and the fortifications, from where the view is panoramic and magnificent. Visitors can also enjoy the local cuisine with a wide variety of seafood dishes and recipes based on the culinary tradition of Pontus and Asia Minor. Nearby there are beautiful beaches.
The city experienced great periods of prosperity under three names, thanks to its geographical location, on the way that connected Macedonia with Thrace and Europe to Asia. In the mid-7th century BC, inhabitants of Thasos, the city which had been established a little earlier by settlers of the island of Paros, founded the colony of Neapolis in the place where is today the neighborhood of Panagia in Kavala. Neapolis, near the gold mines of the mountain Panghaeon, became in the 6th century BC independent and during the classical era participated in both Athenian Alliances. It maintained its importance during Roman times as a major station on the Via Egnatia. In the battle of Philippi in 42 BC it was the base of the fleet of Brutus and Cassius. In itsharbor, Apostle Paul landed in 49, when he visited Philippi.
In the 6th century, Emperor Justinian fortified the city to protect it from the barbarian invasions. In the early 9th century, was named Christoupolis. In 1387, was conquered by the Turks, who destroyed it in 1391, leaving only the castle. In the mid 15th century, the town was reconstructed with the name Kavala. In the mid-16th century the population grew significantly and the sultan Suleiman the Magnificent built a defensive wall, an aqueduct and more.
The long history of Kavala is distinguished in the preserved monuments, as the parts of ancient walls, the remains of a temple of the 5th century BC, the fortress of the 14th century, the aqueduct which was built by Suleiman the Magnificent and several historic buildings. The church of St. John, the current cathedral, was built in 1867. Of particular interest is visiting the city’s museums – the archaeological, the folklore and the tobacco museum. Near is the great archaeological site of Philippi.