One of the most beautiful Greek cities
Nafplion and the fort of Palamidi
Nafplion! One of the most beautiful Greek cities, which keeps its architectural and urban heritage and it charms for its visitors. It is located in the region of Argolid, Eastern Peloponnese, in the cove of the large Argolikos Gulf. The bay of Nafplion has an opening of 4 nm at its entrance. Nafplion was the first capital of the Greek state. It stretches from the port up to below its castles. In the harbor is the island Bourtzi, a fortress by itself. Squares, streets, preserved homes, historic buildings and churches make up one of the most characteristic examples of a neoclassical city of Greece in the 19th century. In a few kilometers to the south is the beach of the big bay of Karathonas.
The habitation of the area began at the end of the 3rd millennium BC, as indicated by the findings on the fortified hill, 85 m high. Later the city of Nafplia was created. According to mythology, it was founded by the hero Nafplios, son of Poseidon and Amymoni, daughter of Danaus.
During the Byzantine era, the town of Nafplion was developed under the ancient citadel, that fortified the coast. In 1210, when the Frankish rule had begun in Greece, Nafplion was occupied by the French Geoffrey de Villehardouin, who in 1212 ceded it in the Lord of Athens, Otto de la Roche. In 1388, the Franks surrendered the city to the Venetians, who made it a big naval base and built a new fort. In 1470, many refugees came from Chalcis and the city grew up. In 1471, the Venetians built a fortress on the island of the harbor, connected by mobile chains at the breakwater. The island was named Bourtzi and the city Porto Cadena. In November 1540, after a three years siege, Nafplion was conquered by the Turks. The Venetians returned in 1686 with the admiral Francesco Morosini. In 1711 - 1714, they built the fort Palamidi and named Nafplion as capital of their possessions in the Peloponnese; they called it Napoli of Romania, as it was regarded as the most beautiful city in the east. In 1715, the Turks took back the city for one more time.
On March 28, 1821, the Greek Revolution has been declared in the area. On November 30, 1822, the Greeks conquered Palamidi and Nafplion became the seat of the Provisional Administration. On May 4, 1827 was designated as the seat of the Greek government and the first governor of Greece Ioannis Kapodistrias disembarked in its port. He was assassinated on October 9, 1831 at the entrance of the church of St. Spyridon.
Of the many attractions, the most important are the fortresses of Akronafplia and Palamidi on the hill, the islet Bourtzi, the churches of St. Sophia, built in 1400, St. Spyridon built in 1702 and St. Nicholas, built in 1713, the barracks of Sagredo, the Venetian holster and others, among which neoclassical buildings and museums.