The Park of Maritime Tradition
3,000 years of naval 'ethos'.
The history of Greece is strongly connected with the sea. In the Park of Maritime Tradition located in the bay of Palaio Faliro, adjacent to the marina of Flisvos , the glorious battleship "Georgios Averof", the destroyer "Velos", the sailboat "Eugenios Eugenides", the wooden boat "Evangelistria", the cable-laying ship "Thales of Miletus" and the trireme "Olympias" invite you on a journey to Greek History.
Battleship "Georgios Averof"
Live monument of the modern history and martial valor of the Greek Navy, the battleship "Averof" is now the ship headquarters of the Chief of General Staff of Navy. It was launched in 1910 and a year later, in 1911, joined the Greek Navy Fleet. She was reknowned as the most glorious ship in modern naval Greek history. She participated as flag ship at the victorious sea battles of ELLI (3.12.1912) and that of the island of Lemnos (5.1.1913) also giving vital support to land operations. Se took part in the Balkan Wars and before the end of the WWI on 13.11.1918 along with ships of the Allied Forces arrived in Istanbul. Participated in the military operations in southern Russia, in Ukraine and in the Asia Minor campaign. In the period 1925-1927 the ship was modernized by acquiring its current external appearance. During the WWII and on 18.04.1941, after a dramatic pass through the minefields of the Saronic Gulf and without maps, the battleship arrives in Souda, Crete and on September of that year redeploys in Mumbai, India. She returns to the Mediterranean in 1943. On 17.10.1944 "Averof" anchored in Piraeus bringing back from the exile the members of the Greek government. Her last mission was in 1945 when she carried the viceroy - archbishop of Athens Damaskinos in Rhodes. She was decommissioned on 02.07.1951. The ship remained in the dockyard of Salamis until 1957 when she was moved to Poros where she stayed until the summer of 1986. She was then towed initially at Zea and ultimately to the Flisvos in Faliro where she is today.
Destroyer "Velos" D-16
One of four of the same class (Fletcher) ships offered by the USA during the 1959-60 period. She was accepted by Cdr G. Moralis HN on 15.7.1959 in Long Beach. In May 1973 under the command of Cdr N. Pappas HN she took refuge in Italy's Fiumicino as an act of protest against the military dictatorship in Greece. The Commander and 31 officers and petty officers of her crew requested asylum and remained abroad as political refugees. "Velos" decommissioned on February 26 1991, She was anchored in the Park of Maritime Tradition in Phaliron, beside the battleship "Averof" and is converted into a naval museum.
HS "Eugenios Eugenides"
Τhe sailing ship "Eugenios Eugenides" is a three-masted schooner built in 1929. Her life starts as "Sunbeam II" in a shipyard in Scotland. Then come cruises in the warm waters of the Mediterranean. During the WWII, she took clandestine missions to rescue resistance fighters. After the war she is taken to the North Sea, where under Swedish ownership, she acts as a training vessel. Her last stop, the island of Hydra in Greece where she was also used as for the training of marine cadets of the Hellenic Navy.
The "Olympias" is an exact replica of the ancient Greek trireme. Her construction was completed in July 1987. Initially the trireme was used to determine her sailing characteristics, her strength and the battle tactics and living conditions inside the vessel. Due to trireme's frequent use several damages were caused to her wooden craft. Large scale repairs took place until the autumn of 1996. In 1997 it was decided that the trireme should be used solely as an exhibit. The trireme was transported in Naval Tradition Park in Phaliro, where she remained as exhibit. After extended repairs, the trireme was launched again in May 14 2004 and in August 2011 transported the Olympic Flame. The same year it was decided the final placement of the trireme as an exhibit in a specially designed covered area in the Park of Maritime Tradition. The Trireme placed at the site in November 2005 where it remains today.